Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Anger as Workington Reds' last-gasp strike ruled out

Workington Reds 0 Guiseley 1: Workington Reds were denied a last-gasp equaliser after Gareth Arnison’s header was chalked off for an infringement on Guiseley keeper Steve Drench.

Workington Reds photo
Lee Andrews, left, has his heels clipped

The Reds protests were waved away by ref Ian Gittins, who was the only man inside Borough Park to see the foul.

Workington also had two clear penalties ignored by Gittins with Guiseley skipper Simon Ainge lucky not to see either handball penalised.

Boss Darren Edmondson was left to bemoan the decisions of the officials but can take heart from his side’s much-improved performance.

Reds ditched the 5-3-2 formation, instead Edmondson opted to stick with the solid 4-4-2 with captain David Hewson coming into the middle.

Hewson’s grit and determination to win the ball added steel to the Workington midfield and he was first to strike a shot in anger on three minutes.

Unfortunately, a poor connection saw the 25-yard effort go well wide of the Guiseley goal.

The first of Reds’ two handball shouts came two minutes later when Ainge looked to have controlled the ball with his arm before slicing his clearance to Hewson’s whose shot deflected for a corner.

Up front, young striker Ryan Bowman was scaring the Guiseley defence with his pace and almost bullied his way in on goal from Hewson’s through ball.

Hewson was at the heart of everything Workington produced but his defensive play was equally as impressive.

A 16th minute block denied former Stalybridge midfielder Darren Peyton a goal when he dived in front of his goal-bound shot.

Guiseley’s only shot on target came on 24 minutes when top scorer James Walshaw allowed the ball to run past him before firing past Aaran Taylor into the corner of the net to score the game’s only goal.

It was Walshaw’s first goal in five games and his 13th strike of a prolific season.

Unlike the Stalybridge mauling on Saturday, the Workington heads never dropped and the Borough Park side had two glorious chances to level within three minutes of Walshaw’s finish.

First Kyle May’s volley from a Shaun Vipond corner tested Drench before Arnison missed when through one-on-one.

Arnison manoeuvred the ball nicely onto his right foot but aimed straight at Drench was cleared with his legs.

Reds were piling on the pressure but failed to convert their chances and when Vipond was played through thanks to a wonderful ball from Stevie Hindmarch, he collided with Bowman and the chance was gone.

In injury time, Michael Smith tried his luck from 30-yards but his show flew over the bar.

Workington started the second half brightly and began to run the show.

Arnison was first to test Drench, but his show from the edge of the box went straight to the shot-stopper.

Arnison was also involved in the penalty shot on 52 minutes when his cross blatantly struck Ainge on the arm but for the second time referee Gittins refused to point to the spot.

Gittins was having a poor game, missing a number of fouls from both teams and failing to keep up with play.

Smith almost grabbed his first goal for the club since joining from Darlington on a month’s loan but his header into the top corner was saved by Drench.

The tenacious Vipond was next to try his luck from 20-yards but his rasping effort hit Liam Needham on the backside and ricocheted to safety.

Despite all their good play, Workington’s chances were from too far out. Reds were bossing the game but failing to win the second balls, allowing Guiseley to swat away their chances.

With 22 minutes to go, Jonny Wright entered the arena. Wright, who has been suffering from a hamstring injury, ran the line well and should have equalised on 81 minutes.

How the tall striker headed wide from underneath the crossbar confused many of the 333 in attendance.

Lively Conor Tinnion came on for the last eight minutes and his in-swinging corner deep into injury time was nodded home by Arnison.

Wild celebrations inside the stadium were cut short when Gittins whistled for a free-kick only he saw.

REDS: Taylor, Langford, A Wright, May, Andrews, Vipond, Arnison, Hewson, Bowman (J Wright 68), Smith, Hindmarch (Tinnion 81). Subs: Tymon, Main, White.

Attendance: 333

Referee: Ian Gittins

Star man: David Hewson helped shore up Workington’s midfield. His hard graft deserved more.



Are you sensing the optimism of economic recovery in Cumbria?

Yes. There seems to be something happening - more jobs on offer

No. I see no signs of growth here. Still can't make ends meet

All governments overlook Cumbria. They haven't a clue how bad it is here

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: