Former Carlisle United nemesis set to line up against Workington Reds
Last updated at 12:17, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Carlisle United’s noughties’ nemesis Lee Trundle is aiming to inflict more misery on Cumbrian football when he lines up against Workington Reds tonight.
The veteran striker, who helped Swansea to Johnstone’s Paint Trophy success over the Blues in 2006, has signed a short-term contract with visitors Chester.
Trundle also scored at Brunton Park in 2007 as Swansea effectively ended United’s League One play-off hopes.
The 36-year-old penned a deal with the runaway leaders yesterday, and could start for Neil Young’s side tonight (7.45pm ko).
Trundle was brought in as a replacement for ex-United striker Craig Curran, whose fruitful loan spell with the Blue Square Bet North table toppers ended last month.
A veteran of more than 300 Football League games, the former Leeds and Preston hitman has agreed to join Chester until the end of the season.
He said: “I have been massively impressed with how far the club has come in such as short space of time.
“I’ve spoken to a couple of players who said great things about what Chester is all about and what the club want to achieve.
“It was an easy choice given all the positives.”
Trundle enjoyed his best spell for Swansea, scoring 78 goals in 146 appearances before moving on to Bristol City for £1 million.
He also had loan spells at Leeds and Swansea, before joining Welsh side Neath, where he netted 26 goals in just 59 games.
Trundle made the move back to the Football League with Preston, but suffered a knee injury in the summer.
Workington will again start with Sunderland keeper Joel Dixon between the sticks.
Paul Johnson will partner Dan Wordsworth in the middle of defence in the absence of Kyle May, who injured his leg training.
But captain David Hewson could be back in action, after watching the Altrincham win from the bench.
First published at 12:02, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)