Eight points will be enough for safety, says Workington Reds boss
Last updated at 11:44, Friday, 30 March 2012
Eight more points will secure Workington Reds’ place in the Blue Square Bet North.
Boss Darren Edmondson, whose side are hovering above the relegation zone with 42 points from 35 matches, believes hitting the half century will be enough to save their season.
No team has ever been relegated from the division with more than 45 points - a feat both Scarborough and Worksop suffered in 2007.
Home form will be key for Workington, who host Solihull Moors tomorrow (kick off 3pm).
Colwyn Bay and Histon must also make the long trek to west Cumbria.
Edmondson said: “This year will see records broken.
“A team with more than 45 points could easily go down, and we have to fight for our lives to make sure it’s not us. If we can get eight points in the bag then I believe we will be safe.
“Our aim has to be to hit the 50-point mark, and then we can look to finish as high in the league as possible.
“It’s not going to be easy though. We have some tough games in the run-in, but at home we must look to win.
“No game is ever a given, but it goes without saying we need to be beating teams like Solihull.
“They are a physical unit and come looking for the points to guarantee their safety, because they are not out of the woods yet.
“But it has to be about us and getting a positive result. We have just six games left to save our season.”
Adam Flynn will keep his place in Workington’s back line with Gari Rowntree suspended. The experienced defender impressed during last Saturday’s 1-0 win at Harrogate.
Jonny Wright remains doubtful with a back problem with Jordan Connerton set to deputise in his absence.
Matthew Berkeley will be part of the squad with Carlisle youth product Mark Beck and Middlesbrough trainees Michael Roberts and Lewis Galpin vying for a place on the bench.
First published at 11:28, Friday, 30 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Discount chain Lidl to open bigger store in Carlisle
- Time running out to enter CN Group Business Awards
- New people wanted for Cumbria's LEP board
- Carlisle's Bendalls Engineering clinches big Sellafield contracts
- US billionaire buys north Cumbrian brewery
- Travelodge chain identifies Keswick for new hotel
- Accountancy giant Baker Tilly takes over Cumbrian consultancy
- Number of insolvencies down in Cumbria last year
- Cumbrian print firm's poster goes viral - but fails to attract trainees
- Ex-MP Martlew says Nestle blocked pension trustee role
- 'Serious drug casualties' at Kendal Calling festival
- Rare bee-eaters nesting in Cumbrian quarry; RSPB sets up viewpoint
- Tenth Kendal Calling music festival starts in style
- Two teenagers in court charged with robbing boy, 16
- Stobart "double-crewing" to avoid Calais crisis
- Stage is set for Tom Jones
- Rescue launched after reports of paraglider in trouble off Cumbrian coast
- Whitehaven mum-of-four avoids jail term for £33,000 fraud
- Teenage driver behind bars after crashing into wall
- West Cumbrian business targeted by phone scam