Boss Edmondson hails 'brilliant' Workington Reds performance
Last updated at 11:51, Monday, 10 December 2012
Darren Edmondson hailed his side’s “brilliant performance” as Workington Reds put the ghost of losing 6-1 to Bradford Park Avenue to bed with victory at Gloucester City.
Joe Mwasile’s early strike was enough to secure the win, and move Reds up to ninth in the Blue Square Bet North.
Workington are now just five points off the play-offs, and Edmondson was delighted they earned a first clean sheet in the league this season.
The shut out has taken 17 games, but Edmondson said: “It was a brilliant performance.
“We showed so much grit and desire to come away with three points.
“We showed the real us, and ground out a deserved win.
“From No1 to No11, the performance was right, and we took the game to Gloucester.
“I can’t knock out effort. We were outstanding.
“When we play like this, we’re not far away from being a decent team in this league.
We’re picking up points, and going in the right direction.”
New boy JJ Hooper, Newcastle youth product, who joined the Borough Park ranks on Friday on work experience, made his debut.
“JJ is a striker who is highly rated,” said Edmondson. “He adds something different to the squad, and importantly offers more competition.
“We don’t know how long Jordan Connerton will be missing for, so it’s important we have options.
“JJ comes in at a time when we have a packed schedule, and will definitely feature.
“We have created chances and not put them away, which needs to change. Hopefully. JJ can find the back of the net, and help us win points over Christmas.
“He’s highly rated. Newcastle think a lot of him, and I know he has the quality to come in and make an immediate impact.”
First published at 11:39, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (96 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (75 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (100 comments)
- Row erupts in Carlisle over £80 fines for not using gullsacks (66 comments)