Adam Flynn fighting fit for Workington Reds' relegation decider
Last updated at 10:46, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Experienced defender Adam Flynn is fit and ready to go as Workington Reds have just 90 nerve-shredding minutes to save their season.
Darren Edmondson’s men go into today’s final-day cliffhanger knowing only a win guarantees survival.
Anything less than three points at Worcester City and precariously-placed Workington could be relegated if results involving Hinckley Utd, Harrogate Town, Solihull Moors go against them.
Reds are one of eight teams still fighting to avoid joining Eastwood Town and Blyth Spartans in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League.
Workington only have to match their rivals’ results to avoid being demoted into tier seven of the football pyramid, and captain David Hewson has vowed to win for the fans.
Flynn’s recovery from the eye infection that kept him out of the 0-0 draw with Histon last weekend has been a major boost for Workington, who are now seven games unbeaten.
The experienced centre half is likely to go straight into the starting XI alongside Kyle May at the heart of Reds’ defence with Lee Andrews switching to left back and Dan Wordsworth deputising on the right.
Edmondson said he was delighted to have the experienced defender fit again, and admitted suffering sleepless nights trying to protect the final outcome of the craziest of seasons.
He said: “To have Adam back is great news. He’s someone who’s come in and really helped improve our defence. He’s a great player, who leads by example, and that is the kind of performer we will need.
“This is going to be a rollercoaster of an afternoon, and we need our best players.”
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- Conference North 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- Blue Square North 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- Blue Square North 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- Blue Square North 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- Blue Square North 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- Blue Square North 2008-09
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)