Keswick beat Cockermouth to lift cricket's Higson Cup
Last updated at 11:48, Monday, 13 August 2012
Glen Weightman produced a captain’s knock to lead Keswick to Higson Cup joy at Penrith.
Keswick beat Cockermouth, the league leaders who had been chasing the treble, by 24 runs.
Winning the toss and batting first Keswick did not start well and in reaching 84 for 5 had lost influential professional Geeth Kumura for only 24.
But it was Weightman who inspired his side with an excellent unbeaten 71 which lifted Keswick to 186 for 8 in their 45 overs.
Chris Hodgson was the pick of the Cockermouth bowlers taking 3 for 13 in his nine, tight, overs.
Cockermouth looked set for a winning response as they reached 60 without loss before wickets started to fall at crucial moments.
Simon Grisedale took 4 for 40 and Keswick fielded tightly to put pressure on the young Cockermouth side.
They were finally all out in the 41st over for 162 with leading contributions from ex-Keswick opener Richard Webster (33), Alex Grainger (31) and Gareth White (27).
Cockermouth must now concentrate on the double, winning the North Lancs Premier Division and the County Cup of which they have reached the semi final.
First published at 11:25, Monday, 13 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Go-ahead for superfast broadband roll-out across Cumbria (27 comments)
- Angry Cumbrian MP and council leader write to David Cameron about Sellafield deal (7 comments)
- Struggling M&S failing to impress Carlisle shoppers (2 comments)
- Cumbrian big cat had been spotted before - claim (2 comments)
- Bookies don't fancy Carlisle Utd for next season's League One title (5 comments)
- Religious leaders claim Carlisle club's name offensive (72 comments)
- Damning report reveals distressing scenes at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (72 comments)
- Crime panel raps 'inconsistent' Cumbria police commissioner (39 comments)
- Cumbrian beauty spot failing to pay its way (34 comments)
- Carlisle United must respond if this Celtic Nation grows (23 comments)