Wilson signs new deal with Whitehaven
Last updated at 10:27, Saturday, 17 November 2012
Martyn Wilson is being given the chance to transfer his Championship One form to the second tier next season after signing a new deal with Whitehaven.
The versatile ex-Workington Town man featured just four times for Haven in the first half of last season but showed his potential when given his chance later in the year, claiming a starting place in the second-row after earlier featuring at centre and wing.
“He was blighted by injury at times, but he still had a decent season and is a good player to have in the squad,” said chief executive Barry Richardson.
“Martyn has never let us down and can perform in the Championship. He played very well for Cumbria in the Nines last season and can play in the forwards when needed, even playing prop in one game last year.”
New signing Paul Jackson expects to be back in action shortly after a minor clean-out operation on his knee.
“It was a couple of seasons of wear and tear, and this was the time of year to get it done.
“I’m looking forward to getting stuck,” said the former Super League prop, who will be fit for the festive clash with Workington Town at the Recre.
“I’ve played in a few local derbies and that will be another to add to the books.”
Warrington Wolves have confirmed they will not offer former Haven target Lee Mitchell a new deal.
The forward was loaned to Castleford last term and made 23 appearances for the Tigers, where he played alongside Jackson.
Mitchell recently spoke warmly of his dealings with Haven but has decided instead to move Down Under with Queensland Capras.
First published at 10:19, Saturday, 17 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (12 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (29 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)