Whitehaven sign giant RU teenager Callum Rowlandson
Last updated at 12:10, Wednesday, 15 June 2011
Whitehaven have turned to rugby union to sign Cumbria starlet Callum Rowlandson.
The 6ft 5ins Whitehaven RU teenager, who tips the scales at 18 stones, has been on the Recre radar for some time and last night signed a deal until the end of the RL season.
Director Karl Connor said: “He’s a player with great potential and this is a real coup for the club.
“Callum trained with us in the past then got picked for the North of England RU squad, so had to commit to that.
“But his attributes mean he will be ideally suited to rugby league. He’s very tall and powerful, and quick with a good offload.
“It’s a different style of running in rugby union, but Callum runs through tackles rather than in to them, and we believe he has the potential to go far in this game.
“We beat off competition from the likes of Fylde RU Club to get his signature, and other RL teams were interested as well.
“He’s a very highly-valued young man and I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes.”
The pack star scored for Cumbria last month in their County Championship Shield win against Staffordshire at Burton.
“Ralph Calvin and I went to see him last week and Callum seemed so keen to try the game, he bowled us over,” Connor added.
Rowlandson is set to launch his RL career for Haven’s Under-23s.
First published at 11:25, Wednesday, 15 June 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Family pay tribute to Carlisle railway line victim (16 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (33 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (19 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (25 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)