Whitehaven RL tell Scott McAvoy: We'd love to welcome you back
Last updated at 12:30, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Whitehaven have told star centre Scott McAvoy he is free to return to the fold at any time following his decision to take a break from the game.
McAvoy has not played since he suffered an injury in the win at South Wales last month, though it had been hoped he was closing in on a return to action.
Chief executive Barry Richardson said: “He wants to take a break for family reasons. There’s nothing wrong between him and the club, it’s just that he feels he needs to take some time out.
“Scott is getting married this summer, and with work and family commitments he can’t give 100 per cent commitment to the game at the moment.
“If he feels differently in a few weeks, the door is open for him. Obviously, we would like to see him back, but as a club we wish him the best for the future.
“I believe he has been the best centre in this league for some time, and he’ll be a big miss. But we have a good squad, and in his absence over recent weeks, Jessie Joe Parker and Max Wiper have performed excellently in the centres, and Stephen Fox also did a good job there before he got injured. We are pretty lucky to have such quality in that position.”
McAvoy was arguably the club’s top performer last year, when he was runaway winner of the News & Star Readers’ Haven Player-of-the-Year award. His growing stature was recognised pre-season when named joint team captain, and he continued his impressive form this term, scoring five tries in eight outings.
First published at 11:27, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (83 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (27 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (22 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (41 comments)
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)