Whitehaven RL prepare for day at Carlisle races
Last updated at 09:02, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Whitehaven RLFC are hoping to better last season’s successful day at the races when they return to Carlisle next month.
The club organised their first ever corporate race day at Carlisle Racecourse last year and they seemed to have backed a winner as around 200 fans, club sponsors and guests got involved.
And now it is time for them to return to the Blackwell course, on Tuesday, August 12, with around 190 tickets already sold. But there is still time to join in the fun at the Summer Flat Racing Day.
“We are building on the success of last year’s event and looking to make it even bigger and better,” said Haven chief executive Barry Richardson, who with players Lee Mitchell, James Newton, Larsen Marabe and Ben Milburn met jump racing legend AP McCoy at the Carlisle track during Tuesday’s meeting.
“Last year was a huge success for us with around 200 people attending in the hospitality area. We have around 190 already booked for this year but there are still spaces available and we would love to see people there.”
Hospitality tickets at £70 can be ordered from the Recre and racecourse entry, programme, three-course meal and afternoon tea are all included in the price, while tables of any size can be accommodated. A Haven player will host each table.
If fans would just like to go along, there is general admission tickets on offer from the club at a discounted rate of £10 and there is also transport from wWest Cumbria, which must be booked in advance, priced £15 per person.
Geraldine McKay, Carlisle Racecourse general manager, was delighted that the club decided to return, saying at the time: “The event last summer was a real ground-breaker – the first of its kind in linking a local race meeting with a local rugby league club – and it turned out to be a tremendous success on every level for both the racecourse and for the club.
“West Cumbria is a great supporter of the racecourse throughout the year and the Whitehaven RL party created a great atmosphere on their special day last year.”
First published at 09:00, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (33 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (19 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (25 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)