Whitehaven prop Samir to play out wide against St Helens
Last updated at 12:08, Saturday, 08 February 2014
Whitehaven are to utilise the power of big prop Samir Tahraoui out wide in tomorrow’s clash with visitors St Helens (2pm).
Tahraoui has made a strong start to his Haven career and produced a man of the match performance in their opening win against Workington Town.
And coach Dave Woods is looking for him to punch holes from the second-row against Saints, rather than down the middle of the field.
“With his size he can create some trouble a little wider, where he will have more space,” Woods said. “People will know they can’t take him one-on-one and will need numbers in the tackle, and that could create space for us.”
Skipper Lee Doran is set to switch to loose-forward with teenage newcomer Jordan Burns on the wing.
St Helens will name their team today, but it is expected to be stronger than the side that hammered Rochdale at Spotland last weekend.
“It will be a really big test for us, with the squad they are sending,” Woods added. “But it will give a good guide as to what we’re doing.”
The suspended Shaun Ainscough and Jessie Joe Parker, who arrives at the Recre on Tuesday, are still to add to the mix. And Woods is keen to take a look at both when available.
“Ainscough is a proven try-scorer and it would be silly not to put him when we can,” the coach said. “We had wanted to give Jordan a crack at the centre spot as well.
“We have a lot of options. Scott McAvoy, Stephen Fox or Jessie could move to the back-row. We have to be smart with Jordan and not have him facing the tough stuff every week as that could take its toll.
“It’s the same with Ben Milburn, who has done really well and is improving every week. He needs more size but has good footwork and has fitted in well.”
First published at 10:10, Saturday, 08 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (40 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (36 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Call for statue to celebrate Carlisle's famous biscuit workers (19 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (101 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)