Whitehaven players have play-offs place in their sights
Last updated at 11:50, Thursday, 26 June 2014
Whitehaven players still have high hopes of ending the Championship season in style according to coach Dave Woods.
The Aussie says his players are targeting the play-offs and should be confident after recent performances.
“The boys are talking about semi-finals and finishing as high up as they can,” said Woods, who takes his team to Doncaster this Sunday.
“When you look at the points difference on the league table, one win can push you right up, as well as one loss knocking you back down.
“Everything can change in one week but we are hoping to finish as high up as possible.”
The clash against Doncaster is another tough ask for the Haven side, just a week after they tackled league leaders Leigh Centurions and nearly pulled off a shock win.
Woods added: “When everyone writes you off there is no pressure on you, you can just go out there and enjoy what you are doing.
“But when teams start to notice you, it makes it more difficult but the boys are confident that they can go to Doncaster and get a win.
“I think other teams are worried about us now. But we have to go to Doncaster and put in another big performance. It is up to us to do that.”
There are doubts over the fitness of winger Craig Calvert and forward Samir Tahraoui ahead of the game.
Calvert damaged the ligaments in his hand in the 24-10 defeat against Leigh while Tahraoui limped from the field in the same game after turning his ankle. Woods will give both late fitness tests to see if they will feature.
This Sunday’s game with Doncaster has been moved to Doncaster RUFC ground, Castle Park as the Keepmoat Stadium is undergoing work to the pitch.
First published at 11:38, Thursday, 26 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- New manager Keith Curle sets out plan to save Carlisle Utd (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (16 comments)
- Cumbria police probe after cats poisoned (3 comments)
- Lack of rain means Cumbria facing driest September in 30 years (4 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (55 comments)