Whitehaven ace Craig Calvert has eye on try-scoring record
Published at 11:28, Friday, 02 March 2012
Winger Craig Calvert is on course to become Whitehaven’s all-time record try scorer after smashing through the 150 barrier.
The flyer, runner-up to St Helens’ Aussie star Darren Albert in RL’s Fastest Man race in 2004, made it 152 tries in only 199 games with a well-taken hat-trick in the win over Gateshead Thunder in Haven’s last home game.
And he is firmly on track to take club favourite David Seeds’ record of 225 tries.
After 199 games of his illustrious career, Seeds had crossed 116 times, though the former classy centre also created many more tries for his wing partners, including Calvert. And having just turned 28, Calvert has time on his side as he closes in on Seeds’ record.
“Craig’s looking good so far this year, and the record could be a goer,” said Haven historian Brian Sharples, who has facts and figures on every Haven match since the club’s launch in 1948.
“His increased strength should see him through the next few years.”
Calvert made an instant impression for Haven, scoring twice on his 2004 debut, months after the then Wath Brow youngster re-wrote the National Conference record books when plundering seven tries against Oldham side Saddleworth. He has been a first-choice at the Recre for the past eight years and has added extra power to his game over recent seasons.
Meanwhile, Barrow boss Darren Holt pledged to rotate his team at the Recre on Sunday, even though a Raiders win could see them secure a Northern Rail Cup quarter-final berth.
He is keen to give his entire squad a chance to impress before the Championship One season starts next week.
Holt said: “I’m not going to beat around the bush – our priority this year is the league, I’m not going to make any apologies for that, but the further we can go in this competition the better it is for the club.”
- The Challenge Cup third round draw will be held at the Recre on Tuesday, March 13, from 7pm.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (35 comments)
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (42 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (32 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (26 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (15 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (89 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)