Praise for Whitehaven RL's Craig Calvert after he joins 200 club
Last updated at 11:43, Wednesday, 09 July 2014
Craig Calvert was today hailed as one of the local success stories in rugby league by Whitehaven chief executive Barry Richardson.
Calvert ran in his 200th try for Whitehaven at the weekend, in their victory over Barrow at Craven Park.
And Richardson says the tough winger, who played his early rugby with Wath Brow Hornets, has just got better with age.
“This was a fantastic achievement by Craig. He has been outstanding for us over the years and this season,” said Richardson.
“He joined the club from Wath Brow where he had an excellent grounding in rugby league. He was part of the Brow team that enjoyed Grand Final success before coming to us.
“He was in the first team straight away, after coming to us and he has never looked back.”
Richardson admitted Calvert’s pace was one of the things that brought him to their attention back in 2004 but he says he has since gone from strength-to- strength.
“Craig is an excellent finisher but there is also a lot more to his game now,” explained Richardson.
“He has improved so much over the years.
“At first it was his pace but now his all-round game is great and he has shown great commitment to the club.”
Calvert, who is currently celebrating his testimonial season at the Recreation Ground, is also now closing in on Haven legend David Seeds’ record of 225 career club touchdowns.
And with his pairing in the three-quarter line with Papua New Guinea international Jessie Joe Parker causing havoc for opposition defences, he could be set for more this season.
First published at 11:24, Wednesday, 09 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (12 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (29 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)