Leigh's Gregg McNally may miss return to Whitehaven
Last updated at 11:41, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Gregg McNally could miss a return home to Whitehaven tomorrow with Leigh – over the birth of his baby.
The Recre scholarship kid produced one of the most stunning debuts in Haven’s history when he claimed a hat-trick at 17 in a home win over eventual champs Salford on Sky TV in 2008. But a question mark now hangs over his appearance for the Centurions in front of Premier Sports’ cameras.
Leigh boss Paul Rowley said: “His wife is due to give birth, I think in the next two or three days, so you might not see him. Gregg has been doing brilliant for us. He has settled in really well, is a really likeable lad and a good character.
“People forget his age. He is only 21 but seems to have been around for a lifetime. He is a young lad who is still learning and developing. He has good lads around him, and no egos. It’s probably like a step back in time to when he was at Whitehaven, which he speaks of very fondly.”
The ex-Kells junior, in his second season at Leigh after a stint at Huddersfield, featured at scrum-half for Haven but has developed in to a talented full-back.
“He took to the role like a duck to water,” said Rowley. “It gives him time, space and vision. We’ve given him a bit of freedom and let him express himself.”
Rowley is less than happy over the timing of the trip to Cumbria, brought forward three days to be shown live on Premier Sports.
“I would rather not be coming on a Thursday, obviously. There are no big dramas, but you would think they could have been done more sensibly,” he added.
He said it would have made sense to instead show Haven’s Cumbrian derbies, to cut down on long midweek trips. Haven’s Easter clash with Workington Town will be shown on TV.
First published at 11:36, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Former West Cumbrian restaurant owner faces bigamy charges
- Barrow foster carer and former school governor downloaded images of child abuse (2 comments)
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- Car crashes into tree in Lake District gorge
- Cumbria worst county in north west for rural bus cuts, says watchdog
- Five-year ban for Carlisle woman three times drink-drive limit
- Call for changes to dangerous road leading to school
- Cumbrian school with no pupils costs £8,000 a month to run (8 comments)
- Female sexually assaulted by man and woman at party