Whitehaven still hoping to show off new recruits
Last updated at 12:00, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Whitehaven are pulling out the stops to give fans a glimpse of their new recruits in pre-season action at the Recre after their planned match against Workington Town was delayed.
It had been hoped to entertain Workington over the Christmas/New Year period but Town have nine players unavailable due to injuries and suspensions, and the old rivals will now contest the Ike Southward Memorial Trophy when they meet in Championship One action on Good Friday, March 29, at Derwent Park.
Haven are due to travel to Barrow and Carcassonne for friendlies next month, ahead of the Championship opener against visitors York on February 3.
“The plan was to play Workington at home and Barrow away, though things have evolved since then,” said chief executive Barry Richardson.
“We are still trying to arrange a home game for January 13 but it’s proving difficult at the moment.
“We should have had a game against Oldham this year for the SEAT Trophy, but their season does not start until March and they weren’t sure if they were able to play.
“Unfortunately, Leeds didn’t feel they could commit to playing Whitehaven this year, or to the annual dinner up here, due to their commitments with Hunslet, their dual registration club, as well as other commitments.”
Haven have made a string of new signings, including James Newton, Neil Thorman and Cain Southernwood, who might expect to feature in any pre-season game at the Recre.
Fans’ group Haven Horizon will present the club’s season-launch in their first public event, on Saturday, January 19, at 7pm, at the Recreation Ground.
It is part of an Evening with Legends night organised by Horizon and will also provide an opportunity for fans to meet the players. Coach Dave Woods will take part in a question and answer session.
First published at 11:54, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (26 comments)
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (12 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (29 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)