Former Whitehaven boss Don Gailer eyes coaching role in Australia
Last updated at 12:03, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Former Whitehaven boss Don Gailer pledged to return to coaching in his native Australia after saying farewell to Cumbria.
Gailer remained in the town after being axed by Haven in late August but has opted to return home with wife Gayle to spend Christmas with their family in Redcliffe, near Brisbane.
And he revealed he still has an appetite for the dugout after guiding Haven to promotion last term.
“I want to keep coaching,” said the experienced Gailer, ahead of his departure. “By the time I get home everyone will have their coaches in place for next year, and maybe next year will be about catching up with friends and family.
“But I will be looking around and hopefully I’ll get in again.”
Gailer, who joined Haven 12 months ago in his first overseas coaching job at 56, enjoyed his stint at the Recre and initially hoped to lead the club in the Championship next term.
“I came over for an adventure and it sure was one. It was absolutely fabulous to come to a wonderful little town that’s rugby mad,” he added.
“To win over the supporters was really good and we made a lot of good friends. Not from day one did we feel like strangers in the town.
“We met so many wonderful people and leave with great memories.
“We had set our sights on another year at the club but time rolls on. I was looking forward to a second year but the conditions put on me were unacceptable.
“The report card says promotion was the No 1 goal and we achieved that. Now the club is back in the Championship and I think we ticked that box.”
Gailer left the Recre full of praise for a string of his former Haven players as well as the role of chief executive Barry Richardson.
First published at 11:53, Tuesday, 04 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (40 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (36 comments)
- No easy route back to Carlisle for McDonald (13 comments)
- Call for statue to celebrate Carlisle's famous biscuit workers (19 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (101 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)
- Carlisle Utd sign deal with developer to plan new stadium (45 comments)