Ex-Super League ace Jamie Rooney signs for Whitehaven
Last updated at 11:48, Monday, 23 April 2012
Whitehaven have signed former Super League star Jamie Rooney for the rest of the season.
The club had been looking for a playmaker for much of this year, and boss Don Gailer is confident the ex-Wakefield, Barrow and England A ace fits the bill.
“We’ve said for a while that we’ve been looking for a strong, on-field organiser, and we feel a player with his background and ability will suit our team,” the coach said.
“Our discussions with him were so positive, and in his own words he said he was looking to play some good football and contribute to promotion. He’ll have his first training session on Thursday and will get at least three under his belt before he plays, so he can get to know the boys, and they can get to know him.
“With our blend of youth and experience, he’s the right man, at the right time, to take the organising role.
“He knows, and knows of, a lot of the guys, and is excited about the personnel and what he can contribute. It’s not totally unknown to him.”
Haven made an initial enquiry last week to Rooney’s agent, after he left South Wales Scorpions.
But after they heard nothing back they assumed he was not interested. Events moved quickly after Rooney spoke to the club.
First published at 11:30, Monday, 23 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2014
- 2014 results at-a-glance
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)