David Seeds to boss Whitehaven in Gateshead friendly
Last updated at 11:55, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Dave Woods is sure Whitehaven will be in good hands for next month’s pre-season opener against Gateshead Thunder – when former boss David Seeds returns to the helm.
Head coach Woods is to fly home on Sunday for his first Christmas in Australia for seven years. And he will not be back in time to take charge for the January 13 visit of the Tyneside outfit.
But he has been impressed with his new No2 Seeds – who led Haven to the play-offs in 2011 before stepping down – and has no fears for the squad during his absence.
“I’m really pleased with how he’s going at the moment. He has been taking parts of sessions and been very good and enthusiastic,” said Woods.
The holiday was arranged before Woods took over at the Recreation Ground, and he has decided to cut it short to ensure he has plenty of time to prepare his squad for the new campaign.
“It’s always something my wife wanted to do,” said Woods. “It was booked in the middle of last year and I wasn’t supposed to come back until January 30, but I’m cutting it short. My family will stay out there and I will arrive back on the 18th.”
Woods will scan the Aussie scene for fresh talent during his break.
“It will give me the chance to speak to some people in Sydney and Queensland to see if anyone’s available,” he said.
Gateshead won Championship One under Woods in 2008, though they struggled last term.
Fans will get their first chance to see the club’s new recruits against Thunder.
Haven later travel to Barrow and Carcassonne before welcoming York in their league opener on February 3.
First published at 11:53, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Two retail giants quitting Carlisle (36 comments)
- Fight to block £20 parking charge stepped up by campaigners (21 comments)
- Girl, 7, conned into sending nude photos to internet sex predator (11 comments)
- New headline act for Carlisle's Christmas festivities (14 comments)
- New report tells how Talkin Tarn could become self-financing (10 comments)
- Cost of on-street parking charges revealed by Cumbria council (105 comments)
- Cumbria council hires PR guru - at cost of £700 a day (83 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)
- Carlisle's The Lanes shopping centre on verge of expansion (56 comments)
- New KFC restaurant will create up to 40 jobs in Cumbria (50 comments)