Carl Sice signs new Whitehaven deal and is granted testimonial season
Last updated at 11:53, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Hooker Carl Sice has double reason to celebrate after penning a fresh deal for next term AND being granted a testimonial campaign in 2013.
The former Kells amateur joined Haven from Workington Town on a three-year deal in April, 2003, and is on the verge of becoming the most prolific No 9 in the club’s history.
And chief executive Barry Richardson believes Sice, who turns 33 in April, still has plenty to give.
“Sicey has a proven record at Championship level, and there’s going to be really good competition for the hooking role,” said Richardson, who is savouring the battle between Sice, Chris Smith and new recruit James Newton for the dummy-half position.
“We now have three quality hookers, though Sicey is a very different player to the other two. He will be looking for a big season and still has a lot to offer.”
Sice showed no signs of slowing up last term, when he made his international debut for Ireland, scoring eight tries in 21 outings, putting him on 86 for the club, just two less than Recre legend Aaron Lester. He went on to win the bleep test, which measures fitness, in Haven’s first pre-season training session.
“Carl’s been a great servant over the last 10 years, one of those who is willing to go out in to the community for the club,” added Richardson. “He has an ability to see a gap, and on the attacking side, he is a player some of our younger lads could learn from.”
Sice has proved a fans’ favourite over the past decade and his testimonial is likely to prove popular with Recre regulars.
First published at 11:48, Tuesday, 11 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Championship table 2013
- 2013 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2012
- Northern Rail Cup 2012
- 2012 results at-a-glance
- Co-op Championship 1 table 2011
- Northern Rail Cup 2011
- 2011 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2010
- Northern Rail Cup 2010
- 2010 results at-a-glance
- Co-operative Championship table 2009
- Northern Rail Cup table
- 2009 results at-a-glance
- 2008 at-a-glance
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (22 comments)
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (9 comments)
- Scottish independence: I'm proud to be British (2 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)