Workington Comets warned to beware Scunthorpe threat
Last updated at 11:39, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Workington Comets manager Tony Jackson is not expecting his team to have it all their own way when they take on Scunthorpe in the first round of the Knock-Out Cup this weekend.
The Comets have been in magnificent form this season but Scunthorpe have an impressive looking side with many riders who have ridden well at Derwent Park in the past.
Although they are missing number one David Howe, they have British youngster Josh Auty who has regularly scored in double figures as well as Tero Arnio who performed well as a guest for the Comets last season and talented Danish youngster Michael Palm Toft.
Jackson said: “Scunthorpe are quite a good team and are right up there looking to get through to the semi finals of the League Cup.
“They are going to be two very tough matches and they have Josh Auty who scored 18 points in the Elite League on Monday.
“I would like to think it will be a good battle with good racing over the two legs.
“We want to get the tie done and dusted by the end of the two days and try and do as much of the work away from home as possible.”
Workington travel to the Eddie Wright Raceway tomorrow night before the return leg at Derwent Park 24 hours later (7pm start).
Jackson feels having the second leg at home will give the Comets a slight advantage. He added: “When you are at home in the first leg you are always wondering whether you have got enough points in the bag.
“We just want to try and get as many to make it easier on Saturday.”
Jackson believes Workington have an advantage at reserve in the shape of Gary Irving who rides the track for his National League side Scunthorpe and scored a paid nine points in the Premier League fixture last year.
Jackson said: “He was our secret weapon last year and hopefully he can be this year.
“He has done more laps round the track than any other member of our team so hopefully he can do the business and that it will work in our favour.”
Meanwhile, No1 Rene Bach narrowly missed out on going through in the Danish Championship semi-final.
First published at 11:30, Thursday, 17 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbrian bride wins wedding dress battle after death of fiance (10 comments)
- Carlisle boss calls for boos ban against Cheltenham
- Drop in pupils offered first choice secondary places in Cumbria (4 comments)
- Carlisle MP defends continuing to work as solicitor
- Barriers going up to keep travellers off Carlisle park (1 comment)