Rusty Harrison will not be Workington Comets speedway captain - Denham
Last updated at 13:45, Friday, 09 December 2011
Fans' favourite Rusty Harrison will not lead Workington to glory in 2012 after owner Keith Denahm ruled the veteran out of the race to captain Comets.
Denham stated the 30-year-old Aussie had enough to deal with without the burden of leading the team.
Declining to name his skipper, Denham said Richard Lawson was a candidate, but no decision was imminent.
Lawson, 25, was in scintillating form last year, and was recognised for his efforts at the club’s end of season awards night.
Picking up Rider of the Year - beating Harrison by just one vote - Lawson is hotly tipped to take over from the departed Tomas Topinka.
Denham said: “I have no idea who will captain the team next year and right now, I don’t have to.
“It won’t be Rusty because he has other things to concentrate on than leading the team.
First published at 11:25, Friday, 09 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Dalton man's joy at dog ice rescue (1 comment)
- Tommy Tynan: Passing mourned by community (1 comment)
- Dalton Christmas tree festival
- Children in Need fund-raisers spotted in West Cumbria
- News round-up
- Charlotte is promoted
- Carlisle City Council prepared to pay £104,000 salary to new leader (9 comments)
- Speed campaigners gain support from Lakes MP (6 comments)
- Family’s tribute to man who died after being hurt in Cumbrian pub
- Dalton police
- Ripper’s Arnside trip might not be his last