Rene Bach is new number one rider for Workington Comets speedway
Last updated at 11:57, Friday, 02 December 2011
Workington Comets have completed their line up for 2012 as Rene Bach comes in as their number one rider.
Bach’s inclusion at the top of the team left the Comets with just over four points to play with so they have brought in local rider and fans favourite Gary Irving to fill the number seven berth.
Bach, who suffered a serious leg injury at the start of last year, will come on an average of 8.58.
He has ridden Derwent Park on many occasions both as a guest for the Comets as well as a visiting rider for previous club Newcastle and is known for his entertaining and breathtaking rides from behind.
Denham had earlier this week rejected a deal with Bach because he said he could not justify it financially.
However, he explained that things changed later on in the week.
He said: “Rene was originally asking for too much money but I made him a final offer and because he needs to ride a Saturday track because of his overseas and Elite League commitments he was running out of options.
“He is somebody who can make a bang and is an absolutely brilliant rider.
“I think we have got him on a false average because of his injury last year and I think he should be higher than that. With Rene, Rusty Harrison and Richard Lawson we are going to have some striking power in the team.”
Bach will double up with Peterborough in the Elite League and will be joined by Lawson in the Panthers line up who will also be in a doubling up position.
Denham said Bach will be based in Newcastle so will have to pay minimal travelling costs and with Irving also based in Workington he has managed to get nearly all his riders within a close radius with the exception of Kenny Ingalls, who is based in Birmingham.
Denham had also been looking at plenty of other riders to fill the number one spot including Jason Lyons who a deal could not be done financially as well as former Comets captain Kauko Nieminen who could not join because of commuting issues.
First published at 11:25, Friday, 02 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- We can blow battle for Carlisle wide open, claim UKIP (39 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (29 comments)
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (22 comments)
- Copeland council backs Civic Hall and new public loos plans (7 comments)
- New Cumbrian leisure centre delayed by finance query (6 comments)
- Debate over bonfire effigy failed to spoil Fireshow spectacular (87 comments)
- Thousands sign petition to oust hospital trust bosses (62 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (88 comments)
- Bin spies in Carlisle branded a waste of money (30 comments)
- Cyclists opposing extended Carlisle city centre ban (62 comments)