That place off the M6 before Scotland
Published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
If not ‘The Great Border City’, then what?
Dr Joe Hendry, the new leader of Carlisle City Council, and the city’s MP John Stevenson agree that this slogan is outdated and should go.
Does ‘The Great Border City’ speak of a proud and fascinating history? Or does it imply that Carlisle is stuck in the past?
There is clearly a discussion to be had.
What’s clear is that Dr Hendry and Mr Stevenson both want the best for The Great Border City – sorry, that place off the M6 just before you get to Scotland.
Reiver feels it is nothing more than coincidence that both men are Scots.
There is nothing sinister in this planned rebranding, and rumours that Carlisle will soon be known as “The City of Soft Sassenachs” are almost certainly wide of the mark.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|