That place off the M6 before Scotland
Published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
If not ‘The Great Border City’, then what?
Dr Joe Hendry, the new leader of Carlisle City Council, and the city’s MP John Stevenson agree that this slogan is outdated and should go.
Does ‘The Great Border City’ speak of a proud and fascinating history? Or does it imply that Carlisle is stuck in the past?
There is clearly a discussion to be had.
What’s clear is that Dr Hendry and Mr Stevenson both want the best for The Great Border City – sorry, that place off the M6 just before you get to Scotland.
Reiver feels it is nothing more than coincidence that both men are Scots.
There is nothing sinister in this planned rebranding, and rumours that Carlisle will soon be known as “The City of Soft Sassenachs” are almost certainly wide of the mark.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)