Thanks a lot, now we can’t just propose on bended knee
Last updated at 14:23, Monday, 05 March 2012
Getting engaged used to be a relatively simple affair.
The would-be groom would approach the father of his intended and ask for permission to marry the daughter.
There would be either a handshake or an unleashing of a shotgun and some large dogs.
If she was agreeable to the idea, they all lived happily ever after. Hopefully.
And now? All manner of bells and whistles are involved in popping the question.
The News & Star recently reported that Peter O’Donnell from Seaton took his girlfriend to New York, joined in a dance with a flashmob after secretly rehearsing the moves back home, then proposed.
Last week Nicola Meakin from Carlisle arranged to have a message projected onto Shaddon Mill showing a giant heart which read ‘Gareth, will you marry me? Nicola xx’.
Happily, both proposals were accepted.
The bar has been raised to dizzying heights.
How about a proposal during a deep-sea dive? What about on the first passenger flight in space?
Or perhaps future proposers will go back to the basics of a ring and a bended knee?
First published at 11:26, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (6 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (3 comments)
- Cumbria police must have a redesign to survive (2 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (17 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (4 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (14 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (9 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbrian appointed NW Institute of Directors chairman
- Greggs branch closing (2 comments)
- New West Cumbrian bar and bistro will create 20 jobs (2 comments)
- £2.5m wave energy boost for West Cumbrian firm
- £1 million Japan nuclear plant boost for Cumbrian firm
- ‘Magnificent’ students earn surprise plaudits
- Firm celebrating success of trainee degree scheme
- Learn about how media giant moved to the north
- Strong show of ewes helped trading at mart exceed expectations
- Leading Cumbria export firm tells public story of its success
- PHOTOS: Iconic Barrow building toppled in explosion
- Ex Aquarium boss accused of taking £115,000 admits theft
- Unions call off NHS strike
- New Barrow library opens
- Three-car crash closes main road in Cumbrian town
- Italians set up authentic pizza stall in Carlisle market
- Robbery at Barrow off licence man arrested
- The Harry Redfern pub bucking the trend in Carlisle
- Lake District hidden gem to get £1.6m windfall
- Concern grows for missing Carlisle man