Parking free-for all? Blame punctuation
Last updated at 09:11, Monday, 04 June 2012
Free parking is becoming harder to find, and ever more treasured.
So drivers in Whitehaven could be forgiven for revving their engines in delight at this sign on the seafront.
Whitehaven Harbour Commissioners declare: ‘No parking enforcement in operation’. It’s rather unusual for any organisation to announce a parking free for all.
But Reiver fears that the sign is misleading. And lack of punctuation is to blame.
If we insert a hyphen the real story becomes clear:
‘No parking – enforcement in operation.’
This gives food for thought to those who favour a punctuation free for all. They seem to feel that apostrophes, commas and the like make language more complicated. In truth, they simplify matters considerably.
Study the following sentence and consider the difference a colon and a comma can make.
A woman without her man is nothing.
A woman: without her, man is nothing.
First published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (27 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (120 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (61 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Barrow's Hairy Biker married
- Health advice as heatwave heads for south Cumbria
- Nation’s tribute cross to its brave adopted sons
- Sisters of Mercy say final farewell to Maryport
- ‘It’s only a spliff’, Barrow court told
- New nursery to be built thanks to lottery boost
- Dalton firm takes on the fashion markets
- Barrow pupils rid school of rubbish in Big Clean
- Get your body moving with Moky
- UVHS right on course (1 comment)