Parking free-for all? Blame punctuation
Last updated at 09:11, Monday, 04 June 2012
Free parking is becoming harder to find, and ever more treasured.
So drivers in Whitehaven could be forgiven for revving their engines in delight at this sign on the seafront.
Whitehaven Harbour Commissioners declare: ‘No parking enforcement in operation’. It’s rather unusual for any organisation to announce a parking free for all.
But Reiver fears that the sign is misleading. And lack of punctuation is to blame.
If we insert a hyphen the real story becomes clear:
‘No parking – enforcement in operation.’
This gives food for thought to those who favour a punctuation free for all. They seem to feel that apostrophes, commas and the like make language more complicated. In truth, they simplify matters considerably.
Study the following sentence and consider the difference a colon and a comma can make.
A woman without her man is nothing.
A woman: without her, man is nothing.
First published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)