No medals for veggies
Last updated at 13:09, Monday, 18 June 2012
Who said vegetarians can’t enjoy the Olympics? Well, a few parents of pupils at Stanwix School in Carlisle are questioning this.
They sent us the following letter which suggests that the people preparing the Olympic feast have not given a great deal of thought to those who prefer the meat-free option:
Dear Parents, We are having a special school meal to celebrate the Olympic Torch visiting Carlisle on Thursday 21st June.
The menu will be as follows:
Olympic Ring of Cumberland Sausage on Mount Olympus Mashed Potato served with Carrot Javelins and Shot Putt Peas.
Or Sandwich filled with Egg and Cress served with salad.
Not exactly pushing the boat out with the veggie option, are they? Perhaps ‘Sandwich of Champions filled with gold medals of egg and laurel wreath cress served with sprinter salad’ might have sounded more impressive.
Anyone who thinks lettuce-munchers have no place near the world’s greatest sporting event might like to consider Carl Lewis: a vegan who won nine Olympic gold medals.
First published at 11:30, Monday, 18 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (31 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (45 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (106 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
|NEWS & STAR ON:|