Our weekend touched with sadness
Published at 11:30, Thursday, 07 June 2012
It wasn't jubilation and joy for everyone this weekend.
Some of us had to deal with the death of a loved one.
Nibbles the gerbil has finally pegged it after a week spent looking ill and several warnings that he wasn’t looking very well...
He lived a cosseted and long life, stuffed with nuts to eat, kitchen roll-inners to chew and a wooden fort and Lego Star Wars models to play in and around.
He was the pet of Louis, my 10-year-old.
Parroty – the brother of Nibbles and the pet of Felix, my eight-year-old son is still fit and healthy.
Both are at least three and a half years old, which is about 380 in human terms.
Louis dealt with the sad event with a sad acceptance beyond his years.
Felix bawled, but recovered in time for the burial, conducted by Louis who wore the dragon flag they had painted as a robe for the service.
They sang All Things Bright and Beautiful, made a coffin out of a toothpaste tube and buried him in a hole made extra deep to deter local cats.
It was all quite touching – apart from the point where the wife caught them with a battery and a piece of wiring from an electric car.
They were hoping to defibrilate Nibbles and shock him back to life.
There may yet be a service of remembrance at the Cathedral.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking shake-up in historic area of Carlisle (9 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (9 comments)
- Lee Evans to perform gig in Cumbria (37 comments)
- Warning road closure could kill off trade in Cumbrian town (11 comments)
- Cumbria's 40,000 potholes will cost millions to repair (30 comments)
- Ex-Carlisle mayor boycotts Civic Centre 'party' in play park protest (20 comments)
- Northern Lights above Cumbria (5 comments)
- Equipment being ripped out of Carlisle play areas (52 comments)
- Main Carlisle road to close for work on new housing estate (42 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|