Is there anything Ed Miliband can’t take credit for?
Last updated at 12:02, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Politicians playing cupid? Almost as hard to believe as them being in touch with normal average people – you know, the ones who might actually vote for them.
But apparently, Labour leader Ed Miliband was responsible for bringing together two Cumbrian lovebirds.
As chat-up lines go, it isn’t a classic, in fact the traditional: “My mate fancies you” is probably miles better.
But David Atkinson wooed his fiancée with the immortal line: “Do you want to come and see Ed Miliband with me?”
Amazingly, Karen Gallagher said yes.
Many of us might have thought of rushing Karen to A&E, fearing she might have suffered a severe bang to her head.
But she obviously thought Dave was worth it.
The pair attended a rally addressed by the Labour leader at the Crown and Mitre Hotel in Carlisle as a first date.
Romance blossomed and they are due to get married in September.
They met Mr Miliband again this week when the Labour leader visited Carlisle to launch his party’s local election campaign.
“I would love to say that wasn’t my chat-up line, but sadly it was,” said Mr Atkinson, a Unison union activist. “I invited her along to that meeting and we found we shared a lot of the same interests and things developed from there.
With the typical modesty of a politician, Mr Miliband is thrilled to have played a small part in bringing the couple together.
Or as David put it: “We told Ed and he has taken the credit for it.”
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 05 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (48 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)