Is it too late to get Vera Lynne on Olympics bill?
Last updated at 13:17, Thursday, 03 May 2012
The plan is to build up the atmosphere before the official opening ceremony of the biggest, greatest event in the sporting calendar.
To create a feeling of expectation and anticipation.
A special one-off pop concert that will be beamed round the world.
It is supposed to be a gig that will go down in memory as one of the greatest ever – one that we’ll want to tell our children about.
Is it Coldplay, One Direction, U2, Florence and the Machine or Adele, pictured above right?
Actually no, we get the pipe, slippers, cardigan and comfy chair of pop imagined by BBC execs and provided by Duran Duran, above left, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics and Paolo Nutini who are to represent the four UK nations at a concert to mark the start of the Olympics.
A line up of has-beens and hardly-ever-weres.
The concert on July 27 will coincide with the Olympics’ opening ceremony, which will be broadcast on big screens in the park in between performances.
Another to mark the end of the event on August 12 will feature a Dad’s Army of bands for oldies – including Blur, New Order and The Specials.
If we want to underline our stunningly rich musical heritage, why don’t we pay for the Rolling Stones and David Bowie to perform?
These two pitiful line-ups are hardly proving to the world how modern, go-ahead and dynamic we do they?
We may as well wheel out Dame Vera Lynne.
First published at 11:29, Thursday, 03 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle pub with 'no long-term future' shut down (13 comments)
- Carlisle's Sands Centre axes its creche (4 comments)
- Councils will be unable to veto underground nuclear waste plans - Government (3 comments)
- Gritters being used to stop Cumbria's roads melting (25 comments)
- Not voting in parking charges meeting was protest, says Carlisle councillor
- Leisure centre go-ahead for Workington (17 comments)
- New Workington academy school set to be delayed (2 comments)
- Tributes pour in for well-known Carlisle Utd fan (10 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|