Hurrah for high culture and haute couture
Last updated at 13:04, Thursday, 16 February 2012
There are pop-up shops and restaurants, so why not museums and art galleries?
What a great idea by Tullie House to set up an off-shoot of the museum in The Lanes shopping centre in Carlisle.
Why not mix art, education, history and fun with shopping? High culture with haute couture? Something like that...
It’s half-term and many parents will be scratching around for ways to keep their youngsters busy and happy.
So Tullie House has taken over the former Laura Ashley store to stage a different exhibition each day this week and provide a taster of what is on offer in the main building just a few hundred yards away.
Tomorrow, the finds liaison officer will show visitors how to identify and handle artifacts and on Saturday there will be a ‘Secret Egypt’ exhibition.
Now, I know not all of us might think of a museum as a place to take the kids for an hour or three.
But you’d be amazed by what amazes little ’uns and how much fun they can have in a museum.
Well done Tullie House for coming up with the pop-up idea, hopefully it will encourage more than a few parents and young people to pop-in and even try out the full-sized museum.
First published at 11:24, Thursday, 16 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)