The dust is now settling after one of most unpredictable elections in a generation.
All the talk of coalitions, alliances, and vote deals was in vain – and we now have a Conservative majority Government.
From a personal point of view, I want to say a huge thank you to the people of Carlisle for giving me the opportunity to... [more] (2 comments)
Published: June 5, 2015
“I Want to See City Expand” – John Stevenson MP This was the headline of the News & Star on Saturday 8th May 2010 the day after I was elected MP for Carlisle.
I have the front page framed in my constituency office, as the many constituents who have visited me will confirm!
I find it difficult to believe that this was five years ago.... [more] (8 comments)
Published: March 12, 2015
A Happy New Year to everyone. From a political prospective, it will also be an extremely important new year – and an exciting one, with the most unpredictable General Election in a generation.
Carlisle will certainly be at the centre of the campaign as it is one of those constituencies which will help determine who the next Government... [more] (7 comments)
Published: January 14, 2015
It is hard to believe that the Scottish Referendum was only a few weeks ago. It seems the media have already moved on and attention is beginning to shift toward next May.
However, the result of the Scottish referendum - even though it was a convincing “no” - has already set in motion huge changes in the way Britain will be... [more]
Published: November 11, 2014
So after all the drama and excitement Scotland finally said “NO” to independence.
To me this is a relief. I am a proud unionist and I believe that the alternative did not bear thinking about.
However, a “NO” vote does not mean that everything will continue as it did.
In fact, far from it. All three main political... [more] (3 comments)
Published: September 19, 2014
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (38 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|