I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur but...
Published at 08:58, Tuesday, 05 June 2012
I’m a dinosaur. Prehistoric. Old fogie. Out of touch.
I love real books with turning paper pages. I love builder’s tea in the mornings. And I love The Great Border City.
To my mind that doesn’t make me a bad person. But it obviously makes me a very old-fashioned one. Maybe I need to be rebranded.
So does The Border City, according to city council leader Dr Joe Hendry, among others.
He reckons our border moniker is way out of sync with modernity. Too insular and forbidding. Not global enough. We need a new glossy brand, he says. Shiny. Fresh. Inviting.
His suggestion is ‘Knowledge City‘. John Stevenson MP favours ‘Discover Carlisle‘. A wag I know chipped in with ‘Special Measures City‘ but he was run out of town.
The debate has barely begun.
Branding is a good thing. It tells it like it is – like it will want to be for a long time to come.
Carlisle is a city, close to a border. And it’s really great. I love it.
How about ‘Great Border C...‘ Oops, sorry. There goes the dinosaur again.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)