Use your voice in elections
Published at 10:49, Thursday, 01 November 2012
Democracy is not a faultless process. It’s open to manipulation and requires full involvement to work for the common good.
Our failure to engage is democracy’s enemy. Refusal to vote, through frustration, protest or anger, diminishes the power of democracy to deliver its purpose – that being a duty to represent the will of the majority.
Risk of democratic limitation is looming as elections for new police and crime commissioners approach.
Predictions are that a low poll on November 15 will fail to reflect majority opinion on whether power to set policing objectives, monitor forces, hire and fire chief constables should pass from existing police authorities into the hands of individual commissioners.
Today the News & Star begins a week-long survey – in paper and online – to give you opportunity to voice your views on the changes, the way they have been presented and whether you agree with political competition for the job of policing the police.
Free expression is a basic tenet of democracy. Honestly held opinion isn’t always embraced in party politics but it remains our right and if the democratic process is to work from the bottom up – as it should – we must claim our right.
Have your say. Quiet retreat in anger or disinterest is what opponents of engagement rely on.
Democracy isn’t perfect. But it’s the best we’ve got. Give it a voice.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Pub's plans to stay open until 4.30am blasted by council (20 comments)
- Ex-Cumbrian health chief says working across Border 'a breath of fresh air' (5 comments)
- Bus cuts across Cumbria loom in bid to save £1.3m (38 comments)
- Hospitals smoking ban goes too far, says Carlisle councillor (68 comments)
- Allerdale set to back Government proposal to sideline county council in nuclear store search (51 comments)
- Can Carlisle's Castle Way cut it in the future? (23 comments)
- Cumbrian beauty queen overcomes cruel internet bullies (8 comments)
- Carlisle dad fined for cycling with daughter on shoulders (44 comments)
- Major police operation in Carlisle area blighted by criminals (10 comments)
- North Cumbrian hospitals struggling to recruit staff (9 comments)
|NEWS & STAR ON:|