Young Carlisle twins grow 14-headed sunflower
Last updated at 12:35, Thursday, 09 September 2010
Two young gardeners from Carlisle created a monster in their garden when they grew a 14-headed sunflower.
Green-fingered twins Jack and Adam Turley, four, planted four sunflowers at Belah Community Nursery School earlier this year.
After transferring them to their garden, one died and three grew, and one of them has blossomed into a super-sunflower bearing more than 10 heads.
So far, seven of the heads have opened up, while three are just coming into flower. Another four buds have also appeared on the plant.
Mum Helen Sprott, who lives in the St Ann’s area of the north of Carlisle, said the plant, which she believes was planted by Jack, is a rare specimen.
She said: “I think it’s pretty unusual, I have never seen one before. My mum said she had read about one in Stranraer that had four heads, and that this one could be very rare.
“There’s seven heads out at the moment, and another three that are just starting. There’s been a few people come and say they have never seen anything like it.
“Some of the heads are getting a bit past it, while others are just coming out.”
The American National Sunflower Association says that while cultivated sunflowers usually only have one head, wild ones that form the genetic basis of cultivated plants, which grow in ditches across North America, often have more, and can have as many as 20 heads.
- If you've grown a sunflower with more heads, phone Thom Kennedy on 01228 612258
First published at 11:26, Thursday, 09 September 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)