Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 19 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Young Carlisle mum turned violent after binge on lager

A young mum who drank around 25 lagers during a night out in Carlisle turned violent when she lost her mobile phone.

Magistrates heard that Jade Louise Nanson, 19, who hopes one day to qualify as a midwife, lost her temper with two police officers who had been trying to help her.

She pleaded guilty to three offences: obstructing a police officer, using threatening behaviour, and assaulting a police constable.

Adrienne Harris, prosecuting, told the court how Nanson, of Houghton Road, Carlisle, had started drinking with friends.

The prosecutor said: “She began drinking with friends at her home address and eight hours later, at 2pm, she’d drunk 20 bottles or cans of lager and decided to go to the Outrageous club [in Carlisle].

“Once she was there, she then drank another four or five lagers.”

At the end of the evening, two police officers found her outside the club in a distressed state.

They went into the club on her behalf to see if they could find the missing phone since she was so upset.

When they came back outside, said Miss Harris, they saw the defendant had grabbed an innocent man by the throat, apparently believing he had taken her phone.

The officers had to “forcibly” remove her from the man, who then left.

It was as she resisted the two officers that she kicked out, catching one of the officers – Ruth Coates – in the stomach, leaving her sore for the next two hours.

Nanson continued to kick and bang even after she was put into the police van but later on, when sober, she could not remember what had happened, said Miss Harris.

She said she usually only drank twice a month because she has a young child and that her behaviour had been totally out of character.

Geoff Clapp, for Nanson, said she wanted to apologise in court to the officers.

He said: “She had lost her phone and it is very important to her because she had all of her photos of her child on it. She was naturally very anxious about it, but she was also very drunk.”

Mr Clapp added: “She’s a single mother, and she wants to go to college to study midwifery. She bitterly and thoroughly regrets what happened. When I read the statements to her, she could hardly believe it was her behaving in this way.”

Magistrates imposed a 36 hour attendance centre order, and ordered that she pay PC Coates £100 compensation, along with £85 costs.


News & Star What's On search


Easter - and your favourite treats will be...?

Chocolate eggs

Hot cross buns

Long walks

Time off work

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: