Workington Musical Festival hits the high notes
Published at 11:51, Friday, 09 November 2012
Workington Musical Festival continued to hit the top note with high scores flooding in.
Keswick School Youth Choir received a score of 87 in the under-17 youth choir category yesterday, equalling Broughton Primary School pupil Kara Burrough’s score from Wednesday.
Six schools took part in the schools’ choir event with Ashfield Infant School winning the under-eight category. Victoria Infant School won the under-eight hymn singing while Victoria Junior School took the title in the under-12 hymn singing category.
Kate Wilson, a teacher at Broughton Primary School, praised festival organisers.
“This year the festival has been so well organised and so professional,” she said. “It encourages us to keep coming back.”
The whole event is being held at the town’s Carnegie Theatre on Finkle Street for the first time in at least 15 years, following the move of the drama, verse and music section from Washington Street’s Theatre Royal and St John’s Church.
Margaret McIntyre, festival chairman, said the Theatre Royal had supported the festival well but the sections had outgrown it, leading to choral categories being held at St John’s Church.
The decision to bring it back to the Carnegie, following upgrade work, has reduced costs for the organisers, she said.
“We are well supported by the local schools and we have had some really good performances so far,” she said.
The event, which features singing and speaking for age categories from under eights to seniors, began on Wednesday and runs until tomorrow. Three quarters of participants are under 18 with 13 schools competing for prizes.
In total, around 240 performers are taking part.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|