Worker airlifted to hospital after accident at Cumbrian oil depot
Last updated at 14:37, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Medical staff and air ambulance crews have been praised after a man fell 15ft off a lorry.
The 37-year-old man from Penrith, who has not been named, was working at the Wallace Oils depot at Langwathby, part of Carrs Billington Agriculture, when the accident happened at midday on Monday.
The employee had fallen about 15ft from the top of a lorry onto concrete below.
The ambulance service was called, but because the man was complaining of back and neck pain, it was decided to call for assistance from the Great North Air Ambulance, Pride of Cumbria. He was treated at the scene by a doctor before being flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.
Rae Tomlinson, managing director of Carrs Billington Agriculture, explained: “The air ambulance was called purely as a precautionary measure because the man had a bit of a back injury and a bit of a sore neck.
“He was taken to Newcastle, where he was seen and fortunately he is fine – he has suffered no serious back or neck injuries, but has broken a small bone in his arm.”
Mr Tomlinson added: “It is always worthwhile taking a precaution in situations like this and, as usual, the air ambulance crew did a great job.
“All those involved were brilliant.”
The man is expected to make a full recovery.
Mr Tomlinson confirmed that there is no investigation into the incident and it is being treated as an accident.
First published at 14:36, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)