Worker airlifted to hospital after accident at Cumbrian oil depot
Last updated at 14:37, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Medical staff and air ambulance crews have been praised after a man fell 15ft off a lorry.
The 37-year-old man from Penrith, who has not been named, was working at the Wallace Oils depot at Langwathby, part of Carrs Billington Agriculture, when the accident happened at midday on Monday.
The employee had fallen about 15ft from the top of a lorry onto concrete below.
The ambulance service was called, but because the man was complaining of back and neck pain, it was decided to call for assistance from the Great North Air Ambulance, Pride of Cumbria. He was treated at the scene by a doctor before being flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.
Rae Tomlinson, managing director of Carrs Billington Agriculture, explained: “The air ambulance was called purely as a precautionary measure because the man had a bit of a back injury and a bit of a sore neck.
“He was taken to Newcastle, where he was seen and fortunately he is fine – he has suffered no serious back or neck injuries, but has broken a small bone in his arm.”
Mr Tomlinson added: “It is always worthwhile taking a precaution in situations like this and, as usual, the air ambulance crew did a great job.
“All those involved were brilliant.”
The man is expected to make a full recovery.
Mr Tomlinson confirmed that there is no investigation into the incident and it is being treated as an accident.
First published at 14:36, Wednesday, 14 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|