Friday, 27 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Woman saw partner attacked outside their Carlisle home, murder trial told

The partner of a Polish factory worker who was stabbed to death has told how she ran to help him after seeing him attacked outside their Carlisle home.

Piotr Kulinski photo
Piotr Kulinski

Related: Carlisle murder trial: Group was 'scaring people, like gangsters'

Katarzyna Plominska was said to be covered in blood and hysterical as she held Piotr Kulinski in the street in Harraby after hearing him get up for work at Cavaghan & Gray shortly before.

Miss Plominska gave evidence as the trial continued of three people charged with the 32-year-old father’s murder.

Two others are also in the dock at Carlisle Crown Court as part of the case.

Miss Plominska told the jury of five men and seven women she had come to Carlisle in 2003 and had known Mr Kulinski for about six or seven years.

The couple had met at the city’s Cavaghan & Gray factory, which is on the Durranhill industrial estate, and had a son. They lived together and had been at Arnside Road for about six months.

They had spent the night before Mr Kulinski’s death at home as a family and the couple went to bed at about 11.30pm, she told the court.

“Piotr was due to work the next day from 6am until 2pm,” said Miss Plominska.

She heard him get up at about 5.30am on October 14 last year and later heard a “horrible noise” outside.

She looked out the window. “I see two guys hit him on both sides,” she told the court. “Piotr was lying on the road.”

The jury were told she shouted in Polish: “Leave him alone because I will call the police.” The men ran off.

“I tried to pull him from the road,” Miss Plominska said. “He was making like gasping noises.”

A neighbour helped and an ambulance was called.

Sergeant Michael Fordyce was one of the officers sent to the scene.

In a statement read by prosecution barrister Tim Evans, the jury heard Sgt Fordyce’s words, telling how Mr Kulinski was “pale and unresponsive” and there was “blood on the ground”.

Sgt Fordyce said Miss Plominska was “hysterical”. “Her pyjama bottoms and white top were covered in blood,” his statement read.

The officer was one of those who tried to save Mr Kulinski at the scene.

A statement from ambulance staff had said how paramedics saw straight away this “was a potentially fatal incident and not a routine assault”.

Neighbour Ann-Marie Bell told the court how she was woken by noise outside.

“I could hear a female shouting,” she said. “I could hear she was in distress.”

Mrs Bell said she saw two men run to a parked car.

“Both men got into the car. The car drove off quite calmly,” she said.

The court was told Mr Kulinski was stabbed in the back three times, twice in the buttock and twice in the leg. He died from stab wounds.

Piotr Zygner, 30, Paulina Mucha, 26, and Sylwester Kawalec, 23, all of Currock Road, Currock, Carlisle, deny murder.

Zygner and Kawalec also deny conspiring to pervert the course of justice, while Mucha has admitted this offence.

Artur Skoczen, 30, of Ashman Close, Denton Holme, Carlisle, and Artur Woszczyna, 44, of Beverley Rise, Harraby, Carlisle, deny conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

The trial, which is expected to last up to six weeks, continues.


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: