X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 19 December 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Woman pleads with Carlisle judge to let her live with her husband

A wife who has been parted from her husband for five months has pleaded with a judge to reunite them.

Nicola Meszaros has had no contact with her husband Bela since November when a judge banned him from going anywhere near her after he was violent towards her.

But she wrote to her solicitors asking what she could do to get the restraining order – which forbids any contact – lifted.

She stood in the witness box before a judge at Carlisle Crown Court saying that she still loved her husband and wanted to resume married life with him.

Mrs Meszaros, who used to live in the family home in King Street, Wigton, said that because of the court order she had not been able to have any contact with her husband for five months.

Since then, she said, she had been living with her mother. But now, she said, she wanted to resume her marriage.

When Judge Barbara Forrester asked Mrs Meszaros why she wanted to get back together with him, her husband – who was sitting in a different part of the courtroom – called out: “We love each other.”

Meszaros, who is 49, was given a suspended prison sentence in November after he pleaded guilty to causing his wife actual bodily harm.

He was also ordered to attend a domestic violence programme although he has had to wait until later this month to begin it.

After hearing what Mrs Meszaros had to say, Judge Forrester refused to lift the restraining order – or even to amend it so the couple could meet to discuss their future together.

She said she wanted more information about Mrs Meszaros and her lifestyle, as well as a report from the probation service on what progress her husband had made.

“The restraining order will remain in place for the time being,” she said.

The couple will be back in court on June 14 in an attempt to have the ban on being together lifted.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are positive efforts to encourage more women into the nuclear industry necessary?

Efforts to better educate girls at school in sciences, technologies & maths would be more worthwhile

No, unless well qualified women are being turned away at Sellafield's door

Yes, girls and women need to know their career options are limitless

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: