Woman killed on Cumbria coast rail line
Last updated at 12:05, Thursday, 20 December 2012
A woman has died after being struck by a train on the Cumbria coastal rail line running from Carlisle to Barrow.
The woman, aged 85 and from Millom, was struck close to the town's rail station. The collision happened on the north-bound line.
A British Transport Police spokeswoman said the incident was reported to them at 1.11pm yesterday (Wednesday) and is being treated as non-suspicious.
“Officers from Cumbria Constabulary also attended alongside medics from North West Ambulance service, but the person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“We are now working to establish the identity of the person, and inform their next of kin.
“A file will be prepared for the coroner,” she added.
An ambulance service spokeswoman said they were called to Moor Farm Crossing, at Moor Farm, Millom, at 1.14pm.
Northern Rail cancelled the 1.31pm service from Barrow to Carlisle along with the 2.16pm Barrow to Lancaster service.
The lines were reopened at 3.20pm but there were residual delays to services. Buses replaced trains between Sellafield and Barrow until about 5.30pm.
First published at 13:38, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)