Woman killed in road crash near Gretna
Last updated at 11:20, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
A woman has died and another is in a serious condition following a two-vehicle crash near Gretna.
The pair were in a grey Toyota Auris which collided with a Volvo lorry on the A75 one mile west of the Stonehouse junction at around 2pm yesterday.
One woman in the Toyota died at the scene and the other was airlifted to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow with serious injuries.
Ambulances, fire engines, police vehicles and an air ambulance attended the scene.
The driver of the Polish lorry was unhurt.
No details of either woman are being released until family have been informed.
The collision was on the westbound carriageway shortly after a flyover bridge bend.
The road was closed in both directions until just before 9pm as police investigation units worked to establish the cause.
Members of the public looked on from a nearby road bridge as emergency services cleared the scene, with a yellow Scottish Ambulance Service helicopter landing briefly on the road before taking off to transport the woman to hospital.
During initial operations the road was brightly-lit but by the time it was cleared responders were working in the dark to clear the dual carriageway and layby of debris.
Diversions were put in place while the road was closed but because of the remote location did not cause serious traffic problems.
Any witnesses or anyone who has information relating to the crash should call Dumfries and Galloway Police on 0845 6005701.
First published at 18:58, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)