Woman dies after three-vehicle crash in Cumbria
Last updated at 10:24, Sunday, 21 April 2013
A north Cumbrian woman was airlifted to hospital after a fatal car crash yesterday.
The woman, from Longtown and driving an Audi TT, suffered multiple injuries and was flown to Preston Royal Infirmary after the three-vehicle collision just before 1.30pm on the A65 at Spital Farm, between Kirkby Lonsdale and Crooklands.
Her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The female driver of a VW Golf died as a result of the crash. Police confirmed last night that she was from the Barrow area.
Her family have been informed but the woman has yet to be formally identified.
A male passenger in the car sustained chest injuries, which are not believed to be serious and he was taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary.
The third vehicle, also a VW Golf, was driven by a man who suffered no injuries.
The road was closed until 6.30pm while road policing officers and the force's Collision Investigation Unit examined the scene.
The North West Air Ambulance, Great North Air Ambulance, Cumbria Fire and Rescue, North West Ambulance Service and police were all called to the scene.
Sergeant Jo Fawcett, of the South Cumbria Road Policing Unit, said: "Despite valiant efforts by police officers and passing motorists, who were on the scene within moments of the collision occurring and who administered CPR, the driver of the Golf tragically died at the scene."
Anyone who saw the collision should call police on 101.
First published at 17:29, Saturday, 20 April 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Raising the baa: 23.5lb woolly mammoth shocks Ulverston farmer
- Moving tributes to ‘one-off’ Cumbria campaigner for disabled (2 comments)
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- barrow chairman keen leads tributes to emlyn
- Nail-biting final in search for stars in Cumbria
- Mystery over abbot’s burial in presbytery
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Featherstone Castle
- Millom boy racers face town centre ban (7 comments)
- Two vehicle car crash on Cumbria A595