Woman airlifted to Newcastle hospital after two-car crash
Published at 18:09, Saturday, 28 April 2012
A woman motorist has been flown to hospital in Newcastle after a two-car accident on the A595 near Parton.
The accident happened at 3.15pm.
The section of road involved - known as the Parton Mile Road - was closed as fire crews from Workington and Whitehaven worked alongside other emergency workers.
The firefighters, who called in the air ambulance, had to use heavy cutting equipment to free the injured woman from her vehicle.
She was treated at the scene by paramedics and later flown by air ambulance to hospital in Newcastle.
No details have yet been released about her injuries.
Two other women had managed to get out of the car before the emergency services arrived.
Fire service station manager Andrew Ingrams said: "There were three female casualties and two of them had managed to get out of the car before we arrived but one was trapped in her vehicle. Paramedics were there as well as ourselves and the police.
"It was quite a difficult extrication. We were working alongside the paramedics.
"The woman who was trapped was the driver of one of the cars."
A spokesman for Cumbria police confirmed that the injured woman was flown to hospital in Newcastle.
He added: "We would like to appeal for witnesses to get in touch."
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (48 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)