Woman airlifted to Newcastle hospital after two-car crash
Published at 18:09, Saturday, 28 April 2012
A woman motorist has been flown to hospital in Newcastle after a two-car accident on the A595 near Parton.
The accident happened at 3.15pm.
The section of road involved - known as the Parton Mile Road - was closed as fire crews from Workington and Whitehaven worked alongside other emergency workers.
The firefighters, who called in the air ambulance, had to use heavy cutting equipment to free the injured woman from her vehicle.
She was treated at the scene by paramedics and later flown by air ambulance to hospital in Newcastle.
No details have yet been released about her injuries.
Two other women had managed to get out of the car before the emergency services arrived.
Fire service station manager Andrew Ingrams said: "There were three female casualties and two of them had managed to get out of the car before we arrived but one was trapped in her vehicle. Paramedics were there as well as ourselves and the police.
"It was quite a difficult extrication. We were working alongside the paramedics.
"The woman who was trapped was the driver of one of the cars."
A spokesman for Cumbria police confirmed that the injured woman was flown to hospital in Newcastle.
He added: "We would like to appeal for witnesses to get in touch."
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- I won't quit vows Cumbria council leader after parking charges climbdown (20 comments)
- Carlisle man can recall days of the week back to 1801 (1 comment)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)
- £2m Carlisle football complex given the go-ahead (22 comments)
- Carlisle woman voted third most influential black person (9 comments)
- Special report: Fifth anniversary of Cumbrian floods (4 comments)
- Cumbrian couple charged £100 for bad TripAdvisor review (40 comments)
- Cumbrian firms blast lack of profitability from winter festival (5 comments)
- On-street parking charges for Cumbria scrapped (87 comments)
- Objections raised over plans for 190 homes in Carlisle (8 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northerners (19 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (3 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (3 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Reserve for the red squirrel
- Barrow's Hairy Biker married
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Cartmel Races
- Good news on march
- Grange Disability Action Group
- Walney pensioner jailed for raping schoolgirl wins right to challenge sentence
- Tom's latest work gets into print
- Kind £1,000 donation will help Dalton girl to watch the world go by
- Car stolen in South Cumbria