Windows smashed in Carlisle car wrecking spree
Last updated at 13:56, Monday, 20 August 2012
Vandals smashed the windscreens of eight cars and vans parked on a Carlisle street.
Three police vans were damaged on Shadygrove Road as well as several cars and vans belonging to residents on Parham Grove in Raffles.
One victim was electrician Michael Glendinning, 51.
The windscreen of the van he uses for work was smashed, leaving broken glass on the front seats.
“It is just so sad that this has happened because it is so quiet,” said Mr Glendinning. “Everybody looks after their gardens and it’s such a nice area.”
He was glad that his car, an Audi sportscar, was not parked in his driveway.
“Luckily I was out, otherwise my own car would have been attacked – that would have been a real shame,” he said.
He is due to go to a job in Stornoway in the Western Isles today and will now have to swap vans to make sure he can make this job.
Another victim said the front windscreen of her car, a Mazda, had been smashed.
It was replaced yesterday morning.
A police officer said the force received a call about the incident just before midnight on Saturday.
He confirmed that three police cars had been vandalised but reports were still being received about private vehicles.
Police said they believed a crow bar may have been used in the attack.
A man was arrested at the scene in connection with the vandalism.
First published at 11:24, Monday, 20 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking shake-up in historic area of Carlisle (10 comments)
- Speed limit lowered on Carlisle bypass 'rat runs' (25 comments)
- Lee Evans to perform gig in Cumbria (37 comments)
- Warning road closure could kill off trade in Cumbrian town (11 comments)
- Cumbria's 40,000 potholes will cost millions to repair (33 comments)
- Ex-Carlisle mayor boycotts Civic Centre 'party' in play park protest (20 comments)
- Northern Lights above Cumbria (7 comments)
- Equipment being ripped out of Carlisle play areas (52 comments)
- Main Carlisle road to close for work on new housing estate (42 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|