Wigton man's hearing in India delayed again
Last updated at 15:28, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
A hearing to decide whether charges will be dropped against a Wigton man has been postponed for a second time.
John Armstrong, a former soldier from the town, is one of 34 men on bail in India accused of various crimes including carrying weapons without a suitable licence.
The men were on board the Seaman Guard Ohio when it was detained in India last October.
The 35, including six former British soldiers who were all understood to have been acting as armed security guards on board the vessel, were arrested and kept in a Chennai prison for six months.
They were released on bail in April, and proceedings against them were temporarily halted after the High Court agreed to a hearing to have the charges quashed.
It had been scheduled to take place last week, but was postponed until yesterday but there has been another delay.
First published at 15:27, Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (38 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (7 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (13 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (16 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (48 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)